Professor, Interim Associate Dept. Head and Director of Graduate Studies
Director, Center for Dielectrics and Piezoelectrics
Director, NSF Research Traineeship on Science and Engineering of Atomic Structure
- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3076B
Professor Dickey’s research focuses on developing processing-structure-property relationships for material systems in which the macroscopic physical properties (mechanical, electrical, thermal, etc.) are governed by grain boundaries or internal interfaces. Particular emphasis is placed on understanding the role of grain boundary chemistry on electrical and chemical transport. In addition, she is interested in understanding the role of microstructure and interfaces on the mechanical properties of eutectic ceramic composites, which are being developed for high-temperature and armor applications. Her research involves using an array of analytical techniques, in particular electron microscopy and spectroscopy, to understand the structure and chemistry of internal defects in materials. She has over one hundred fifty peer-reviewed journal publications in these areas with over eleven-thousand citations.
Materials Science and Engineering
University of Kentucky
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Ceramic Society,
- Richard M. Fulrath Award, American Ceramic Society,
- Northwestern University Early Career Achievement Award for Alumni in MSE,
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE),
- Cold sintering: Current status and prospects
- Maria, J. P., Kang, X. Y., Floyd, R. D., Dickey, E. C., Guo, H. Z., Guo, J., Baker, A., Funihashi, S., & Randall, C. A. (2017), Journal of Materials Research, 32(17), 3205-3218.
- Big data meets materials science: Training the future generation
- Dickey, E., & Arthur, G. (2017), American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 96(6), 40-44.
- Impact of intrinsic point defect concentration on thermal transport in titanium dioxide
- Donovan, B. F., Long, D. M., Moballegh, A., Creange, N., Dickey, E. C., & Hopkins, P. E. (2017), Acta Materialia, 127, 491-497.
- Guest editors' preface
- Dickey, E. C., Pawlak, D. A., Berger, M. H., Merino, R. I., & Sayir, A. (2017), Journal of Materials Science, 52(10), 5475-5476.
- Indentation-induced deformation mechanisms in laser-processed directionally solidified WC-W2C eutectoids
- Chen, W. T., & Dickey, E. C. (2017), Journal of Materials Science, 52(10), 5511-5519.
- Microstructure, texture, and crystallography in Ni-GDC and Co-GDC porous cermets obtained from directionally solidified eutectic ceramics
- Serrano-Zabaleta, S., Larrea, A., Larranaga, A., & Dickey, E. C. (2017), Journal of Materials Science, 52(10), 5477-5488.
- Defect mechanisms of coloration in Fe-doped SrTiO3 from first principles
- Baker, J. N., Bowes, P. C., Long, D. M., Moballegh, A., Harris, J. S., Dickey, E. C., & Irving, D. L. (2017), Applied Physics Letters, 110(12).
- Mapping 180 degrees polar domains using electron backscatter diffraction and dynamical scattering simulations
- Burch, M. J., Fancher, C. M., Patala, S., De Graef, M., & Dickey, E. C. (2017), Ultramicroscopy, 173, 47-51.
- Investigation of electric field-induced structural changes at Fe-doped SrTiO3 anode interfaces by second harmonic generation
- Ascienzo, D., Yuan, H. C., Greenbaum, S., Bayer, T. J. M., Maier, R. A., Wang, J. J., Randall, C. A., Dickey, E. C., Zhao, H. B., & Ren, Y. H. (2016), Materials, 9(11).
- Directionally solidified boride and carbide eutectic ceramics
- Chen, W. T., White, R. M., Goto, T., & Dickey, E. C. (2016), Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 99(6), 1837-1851.